This time I've tested how would it work to paint the prints only with watercolors, without masking around them, that's to see if it'll be a good idea to leave them for the last step.
1, 2, 3.- I applied a layer of blue and reds for the base colors.
4.- lifted some lines here and there and blended some of the color out of the kanji, just to see if it looks good
5, 6.- some black added here and there and here and there again :), after taking the photo I splatered some water over it and blotted to see if I could regain some blue dots.
I'm not sure if I like this better or not, it proves that I can still work on the tiny stuff adding enough textures and interest without relying on the masking fluid but:
a) it bleeds 10 times more than my previous test.
b) even if I've managed to work it out I can work much more freely using the masking fluid for these.
c) it's obvious the work's been on dry, that's more layering and less blending, on the other hand I went slower and this time kept more of the blue/red visible.
I'm still going to make a third test, masking around, doing the red/blue base with red acrylic and blue watercolor (yep, I don't have FUB acrylic and it's the color I want to use here no matter what) and using just acrylic for the rest of the layers instead of a mix, let's see if it still bleeds.
I'm hoping as soon as I decide on this the rest of the painting will flow smoother, I'm kind of stuck right now and it should be finished already.
Links to the whole of the WIP: step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4, step 5, step 6, step 7, step 8, step 9, step 10, step 11, step 12, step 13, step 14
13 hours ago