February 26, 2010

Building some shapes on the door-front watercolor

I've been trying different things all over this painting because this time I've chosen a palette full of colors that I don't often use (plus some old friends of mine) and I wasn't sure what I could expect from them.

What I can already say about this piece is that it's looking nowhere near to what I had in mind when I started sketching, that's why I've made so many trial and error, but as soon as I've let go and just follow the path it's taking me through I've begun to enjoy each minute of the trip, sometimes it's better to let it do its thing.

Usually I would build up a painting slowly layering pure colors, getting crisp and clean edges, but for this one that didn't seem to be working so I've decided to just block in some darks, hoping those let me simplify and see my design clearly, because I was stressing too much about shapes and pigments and temperatures and what not.

So far laying the dark areas first is being really helpful though I already know they're going to need at least one more layer, they are not as dark as they should be and it'll be more obvious when I introduce more mid tones but so far I'm focusing on getting them rich in color, clean and with texture, hopefuly I stay focused and don't mess temperatures.

My main concern is that the warm areas, filled with ochers and reds, look lighter in value than the blue/violet ones at first sight but they are not, they're tricky when it comes to value and I've found myself being sort of self-indulgent with the rich colors and ignoring their value strength, gotta be more focused and careful about that when I start with the second layers.

This is a detail of the middle of the painting, I've been thinking a lot about that crisp shadow there, it's dark and rich and as hard edged as I love, but I'm not sure I want that kind o finish there, I would have softened it already if I wouldn't miss to get this kind of sharpness in this painting, so far I think I'll have time to soften it if needed when the painting is more developed but I probably will have to do so, what do you think? Maybe getting a look closer to the one in the upper hand?

Links to the whole WIP: Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, Step 4, Step 5

7 comments:

Ann Buckner said...

What a wonderful play of colors, Teresa. It is looking very good and look forward to your next post.

RH Carpenter said...

This is looking wonderful and I think you need to keep some of the hard edges to move our eyes around the painting and that hand is a very important stopping point, don't you think?
If you come over to my blog post today (Friday) earlier, you'll see that I've given you a Sunshine Award - because you always are like a ray of sunshine!!

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

I've been painting a bit more today Ann, will try to post it later ;)

Yes that hand is one o the key points, it's just that I don't know it it'll be overdoing it a bit, but since today I've gone way darker and hard edged in the rong area the hand is not my main concern anymore lol. Thank you for the award, will pas it on today for sure, can I give it back to you? 'cos you brighten my days all the time!

Gary Keimig said...

great blog and very interesting. Love your watercolor character pieces.

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

Thanks Gary, hope to see you around often

Sadami said...

Dear Teresa,
Thank you for sharing the precious process that have/will help so many readers and artists. Your big heart impresses me so much. Hurray, hurray, Teresa!! Yey!
Love and smile,
Sadami

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

Glad you enjoy them Sadami, I think the process of any painting is the most interesting thing, I don't have too much to say of a painting once finished other than "i'm happy/not happy with it" any other comment that comes to mind is always about a previous stage, the troubles and successes, the thoughts that make a painting evolve and the failures that make you learn new stuff are where all the fun is, right?