That's it, or maybe not, for now I'll call it done but maybe I'll revisit it in the future because I'm not that happy with it right now, but since it's gone a long way already I'll let it rest for a bit.
The scanner has done something with the contrast, it screams a bit, anyway this is it
So after looking at it for quite some time the analysis comes to this:
- The center of interest: the bug, it does grab the eye so one minipoint for it BUT it grabs it and doesn't let it go anymore, yikes! I've gone too bold and that should be the thing to fix if I revisit this pic.
- Unity: After the addition of Raw Sienna and some Quin. Burn Scarlet toad and the greenery are better binded, the con is that the blue irises are not working after all, funny that I chose blue on purpose for contrast, it seemed a good choice when the greenery was going to be blue/green instead of yellow/green.
- Eye Flow : Other than the strong contrast between the bug and the rest I'm happy with the movement of the composition, is much more dynamic than the original concept. The upper part is kind of a dead area right now, I added it to give some room to the action but maybe it's cropable.
- Values : The kid, I love her in her own but she has so light values compared to the toad that she looks a bit washed out, I don't even wanna try to compare her values to the bug's 'cos they're in completely different leagues.
- Colors : I wasn't going for a realistic look at all so I chose colors that could work in a cartoonish image or rather I indulged myself using colors that I don't usually use but that make me happy (I'm looking at you Spring green ^^), then I tightened up as I usually do and ended up having to go for classic colors to "fix" the unity, a pity, but I'm still happy with the spring green :)
- Opaque white : my new best friend, I didn't need to use it at all here, yet I found myself adding extra blue in the bug's wings and sweat just to be able to put some opaque white there, note to self --- YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT!
It's been a long way baby :
Links to the whole WIP: step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4, step 5, step 6
13 hours ago