November 16, 2010

Baby's first value study

Today I've just tilted the drawing table, taped an A3 paper to it and made a value study of yesterday's quick sketch, guess what, it finally looks like her! Could it be more finished? yes, quite a lot more, but I don't think it's needed, it's served its purpose already.

After spending almost 3 hours working on this, studying every plane and shape of her head, I feel like I have a much better understanding of her facial features than I did before, drawing values really force you to pay much more attention to all the little details and to realize what's where. And maybe when I make the next one I'll have to swallow these words :)

I don't feel like starting the color sketches yet so probably there'll be more quick sketches and value studies in the near future, though I feel much more comfortable already, even with this sore shoulder, I could do with a massage, volunteers?

10 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

So beautiful! The eye is fantastic. :) You've done GREAT work here!

RH Carpenter said...

Beautifully done!! I could use a massage, too, but only because I've been sitting too long in one position reading!!

debwardart said...

I am envious of your drawing skills! Looks great!

Unknown said...

Make a watercolor version Teresa! =)

Anonymous said...

It looks superb. I'm glad you are feeling better about it.

Unknown said...

Volunteers??? my god, you know just ask... nice skecht, it could be a nice work in watercolors too ;-)

Sadami said...

Dear Teresa,
Right on a track! Wonderful drawing work. Go, go~~, Teresa!!
(I hospitalized the computer. The shop keeps silence. Not yet.)
Cheers, Sadami

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

Crystal, Deb, thanks! glad you liked it

Rhonda, you know I could try to email Jerry with bambi eyes and try to convince him to give you that massage if you want to ;P

Filipe, watercolors, I sure will for some of them... later :D

Ben, your advice worked perfectly, I'll try some more in this size, thanks!

Victooooorrrr! you massages are THE BEST, you know it and I know it, if you say it like that I'll end up taking advantadge of you and those amazing fingers for sure ^3^. Espero que vieses mi tweet de green lantern, quieres verla! ¿cuándo te das de alta por el pajarillo azul?

Thanks Sadami, still no computer? ouch!

Ann Buckner said...

Wonderful, Teresa. The "eyes" have it. couldn't resist that. :D

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

LOL Ann you're amazing XD