November 15, 2010

One more warm up sketch

Better but not there yet, though it's already resembling her. This one deserves another attempt, without the time restrain since, in an attempt to loosen up my arm and wrist, I'm doing these pretty fast, for me anyway, I know people who can get finished colored sketches in 10 minutes but I'm not one of them.

Things to have in mind for the next one: the eye is still a bit large but not too much, and probably what's making the huge difference is the shape of the eyelids, they should have a bit more roundness.

I think it's time to start alternating these roughs with more finished drawings that'll allow me to define the shapes better, and following my friend Ben's advice I'll work on those bigger, probably that'll help.

5 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Love the way she's chewing on the edge of that - babies put everything in their mouths! I like this and all that you've been working towards - will enjoy seeing larger warm-ups and sketches as you get ready for the commission.

Crystal Cook said...

This is so beautiful. I love, love, love the emotion behind this sketch. I'll be waiting to see what comes next. :)

Ann Buckner said...

Teresa, catching up on your blog. Love, love the sketches you are doing and your approach to becoming comfortable with the subject.

Anonymous said...

Scan your drawing and overlay it with the photo in PS using the Multiply option. This will give you a true indicator of how your interpretation matches reality. It should be an excellent learning tool, and allow you to objectively see any missteps.

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

Babies do chew everything they can lol, finished the first larger value study Rhonda, it's like it's been forever since last time I drew like this, feels good!

Glad you liked it Crystal, I love that intimacy between her and her grandad too, so warm :)

Thanks Ann! it's good to have you around, I trust your eyes so feel free to point to anything that looks off or simply weird :)

That's something I do a lot when a subject is giving me pain Ben but somehow I never use it for exercises like this, probably because I want to train my eyes as well as my hands, is that too anal of me? But I sure will do that with the final piece if I end up getting the commission