Yesterday I spent the day trying to finish some christmas cards, one ended in the paper bin and will never ever come back, this is the other one.
Somehow I managed to spend a lot of time trying different settings, designing a sleigh (or is it sledge?), adding it, removing it, redoing thumbs for value studies... just to decide that even if it didn't feel right I'd fix it while adding color.
NOTE TO SELF: if you take the time and make the effort to put up a plan just stick to said plan!
I guess it works, it could have gone really wrong, working on this paper didn't help (give me my Fabriano CP or SP anytime) I feel like it ended up pretty well other than for the shadows and definitely much better than it seemed when I started, but I'm not happy because this is not what I wanted to achieve, so it will probably be labeled as a winter landscape with an animal or something like that, most likely not a seasonal greeting for this christmas unless it grows on me this week.
Now back to the drawing table, there are loads of paintings to try yet!
13 hours ago