April 8, 2013

Traditional vs. Digital - Take 2


Not long ago I was musing about digital and traditional art, about them being two sides of the same coin, two tools serving the same goal.

This weekend I've been making a back-up of some image files from last year and came by a good example of using traditional mediums to do what's usually a digital task.

See this portrait? Last summer I was lucky enough to work for a man who wanted to take an old and damaged photo of his mother when she was a baby, reprint it and use it as a gift.

Anyone would have asked for a clean up in Photoshop or similar.

Instead, this man chose to commission the revamp of the photo as a watercolour painting. How amazing is that?!

Each time I fall in the digital/traditional debate I end up thinking the same, the tools are not important, just make meaningful art.




7 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Teresa,
Lovely "art work" and the wonderful post! Regarding pros & cons of medium, one I dare to say that digital can enable people with disabilities to make art work. Yes, meaningfull art is the point for a creater and viewers, which gives people with disabilities self esteem, too.
Kind regards, Sadami

Ann Buckner said...

I remember this painting and have to say it showcases your phenomenal talent.

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

Thank you both :)

RH Carpenter said...

Teresa, this is a painting? Oh, my!!! Beautiful!

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

Yes, it's a watercolour painting in sepia Rhonda

irinapictures said...

I like painting and story behind it so much.
I wish more men like that one around us.

irinapictures said...

Thank you for your kindest comment. I hope to see your new art soon here.